Saturday, March 25, 2006

Structured Wiring Project - DONE

I embarked upon a structured wiring upgrade to my house several weeks ago.

The goals of this project were to:
  • Bring wired network connections to my front living room
  • Centralize all wiring (satellite, cable tv, phone, and network)
  • Get rid of wire clutter
So overall the project has been a smashing success. Due to my bad shoulder (recent surgery) I brought in a contractor to actually run the wires. While I could have done this myself, I could never have done as awesome a job as he did. Money well spent.

And also he was able to run them down my wall into a new wall jack in the living room, something I would never have been able to do. The job required drilling a hole through two boards about 6' down from the attic. Due to the tight spaces he had to have a flexible drill bit that was 6' or more long. I don't really know how he did it - but the installation is smooth.

I'll update this post with more pics, but for now, here is the finished structured panel in the storage room. It's going to get a cover right after this post so no unsightly wires will be visible at all.



Update 2006-03-28

Here are the rest of the photos.

This is the exterior of the house, the black cable was already there and is not part of this job. Notice the nice pipe bends :)


And this is one of my new wall jacks, this is in the front which currently has 4 network ports and 2 RG6 terminals (I guess I still need to do some cleanup - it's not so obvious in real life):




Finally, I've had questions about how I found my contractor. I used Service Magic. If you're in the Bay Area, you might want to give the guy I used a call - Paul at Healey Electric.

1 Comments:

At 10:03 AM, Blogger Brandon High said...

How much did the wiring job cost? I'd love to update some of the cabling in my home, but I know I'll screw it up if I try to do it myself.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home